Re: FindHWIDS v3.2s - The INF Searching, Hardware ID Exporter

OUCH.
automated elimination in sysprep?
Let me tell you this;

txtmode vs pnp, a driver *'s  txtsetup.OEM and driver *.INF will most often have different info.
Example: txtsetup.OEM may have a generic or five and two specifics and (possibly) one or two sub-sub-version (txtsetup.OEM rarely lists all. Rarely.. One can, however, find over five hundred hwids in the driver.).
You see?
Those txtsetup.OEM generic will re-appear in the INF (I see that they always do)
When the specifics and subs are the only ones reproduced in the INF, the generic could be automatically rubbed out by an automated prep tool.
(that is, IF a dupe generic is found.)
WHY do that?
Because chances are there are other similar drivers using same generic.

Version metrics (the weighing of value of older/newer) count will show in excell, and in PnP, but you will find that the newer loads in txtmode.
(the older may have the sub, and if the wrong driver is loaded in txtmode, pnp then causes a BSOD)

next;
Consider the difference with sysprep to disc based install;
The INF can have, and most often has, info on a wide variety of subs and some generics.
(take for example a gigabyte driver. Believe me for the example, it has over 214 UNIQUE HWIDs.. and that is after we filtered..)
Its txtsetup.OEM has 8 generic HWID lines. It is a fairly recent driver, but not the latest..

For disc based installs: We've been balancing our INI and we kept driver version in mind.

Now, here is a subtle difference between DriverPacks BASE enhanced and Microsoft's setup.
For LOADING TXTmode, we do not use txtsetup.OEM at all, we use mass-storage.INI.
(I know, the INI MIGHT be based on OEM, but most often it is based on INFs, or, in some cases a combination of filtered HWIDS strings found in drivers of same driver version INF files.)

Life is not easy for SYSpreppers.
SYSpreppers have to filter out all OS dupes by OS because their build cannot have any dupe hwid.
Most drivers have at least  three hwids  duplicated in scan tools.
Some OS sections do NOT duplicate a hwid because the OS has a native driver, OR because the vendor will not support the OS. You cannot just delete an entire OS section when you want to cull dupes. If you do NOT find a hwid in txtsetup.inf or dosetup.sif, you have no support for that hwid. YOU (brainpower) may correctly do this in sysprep, but an automated tool that did not get the OS in the readout.. may delete the wrong line.

did we say this was easy?

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-19 15:40:53)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Wow, so glad you've done your homework on that. I forgot that the Driverpacks Base does this already, lol! Maybe I should just give up in that respects.

76, updated.

hehe.
don't give up thinking about differences to disc and sysprep, and do not forget the reason why we filter dupes in the INI

for instructions on mass storage, Bâshrat the Sneaky and Jeff (and ruudboek) are THE guru.
For PE and UBCD4win, Jeff and Cdob are devs, and JakeLD is a sysprep/PE user/team member.

I am, compared to them and most of you, almost a  home user (I am a mecano with 17 years of PC repair experience.)

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-19 14:04:01)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm working on a function for FindHWIDs to be used in PE (or Xp if you like) to only parse the current hardware (most likely used to parse only SCSIAdapter and HDC). Something similar to Galapo's offline sysprep.

Thanks for the encouragement Jaak. I only have 8 years professional experience and 6 years of being a kid and hacking away of stuff.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-19 14:19:43)

a link to information on mass storage.
it has a long txt. This was a collaboration.

after ruud posted essentials, I wanted to understand this better so I wrote up stories about learning pains and made a summary of txts I collected..
Jeff posted the essentals in a FAQ.

Kickarse, you have, I think unwittingly, been a great help to better understanding of how subtleties make a HUGE difference, and I think some of these conversations here will get pasted into this motherlode.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2461

now, I want yuor insights on this too, because I (we) cannot know what was clear/diffuse/totally not understood.

you see, we still have no academy, and you are  (believe it or not) a teacher without tenure.
---
Goal, a complete scanner

1; we need full scanner, nothing missing, better than util5.
2; standard, WHICH? Sort depends on CSV rows, and util5 is a fine example of a standard.
3; in the past, skipped info we needed in reads were added manually, manually pasted in the correct row. (extra hours)

a full scan is useful for:
sysprep
PE
disc
conflict tuning by expert team (where automation will go awry, the human brain takes decisions)

a half baked scan (no full automatic filtering on at least six rows, location/version/date/OS/hardid/guiclass) is no good for any automated filter.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

kickarse, you already know the human brain decision has had to be used for sysprep, because there was no good tool to do it.
This was the same thing we see we need to do in mass and lan. We coded and filtered by brainpower.

Do you see how you made us think about a way to revolutionise this?

edit, jakeLD and galapo and nuno brito are respected members, and you will probably become a DriverPacks hero too.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-19 14:54:36)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

For what I am certain about is that my program parses every HWID that's available in all INFs that are usable by windows. I'm fairly positive it doesn't miss a single one (although I was wrong before about that).

The exports via excel and csv will show every HWID and accompanying information (which I could expand upon if you want the ClassGUID or split the version and date, etc) even duplicates that occur from different INF files with the same HWID in them. I see what you mean though. It'd be nice if the program could tell you if the duplicate HWIDs are newer than the ones you imported earlier in the scan. And you could "zoom" in to see what other HWIDs are in the same file and compare the HWID that exist in the files that duplicate. It might trim the packs down a bit.

The sysprep export is fool proof because it'll only update the HWID from the last scanned INF, meaning no duplicates. It has to be that way in order to not screw up the sysprep processes (which I found out the hard way with the first versions of FindHWIDS).

I can add those extra filters in too, if need be. That way you can hone in on any specific driver. I forgot to mention in the new version not only can you input a PNP ID type but you can type a whole or partial PNP ID (HWID) string and it will try and find that PNP ID string, starting from left to right.

<--- lol, I turned into a Driverpacks Wizard!

The INF files will only show three types of "OS" which in my code is setup as shown below.

Select
Case $aINFRead_Signature = "$Windows NT$"
	$aINFRead_Signature = "NT Based OS"

Case $aINFRead_Signature = "$Windows 95$"
	$aINFRead_Signature = "Windows 9x/ME"

Case $aINFRead_Signature = "$Chicago$"
	$aINFRead_Signature = "All Windows OS"

EndSelect

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-19 15:23:25)

Kickarse, these scripts promise to be very useful to me (and thousands of others, I'm sure)  !!!  I'll try to test them next week in my corporate image and post back.

Is there a place to download the source of this or DriverForge? I'm an old VBScript guy that's recently started playing with AutoIT and I would absolutely LOVE to see how you do some of this stuff!

If not, I understand completely smile

GREAT WORK!

@ tingmorris.
welcome to DriverPacks

you said vbs? VBS?
did you know how often I asked for a guy to look the infinforead tool in utilityspotlight05.exe?

OK, the prize is XP or vista of choice, but I did promise that a guy whom would correct the blind spot in that scanner gets sent a retail box.
((that was almost a year ago? That challenge and the offer still has me honour bound.))

----
edit
I believe the offending skippers are no longer in the pack

There were ten drivers, and only one of them was not completely duped, and that one had one HWID.
the challenge is, find the originals at broadcom, scan and get output.

this bugged me so much I made a human decision. I bet it is not in a release now.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-19 16:35:28)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I will spend some time on those broadcoms.. I must have some old  test/temp sheets with the manually added sed-scanned skippers.

anyone with access to OLD lan or wlan packs (say, over a year old) could scan those and undupe "folder name", make a count and tally what is in the pack
(this is how I found out moons ago.)

changelog, Wlan, 802 was where I worked away well over 70 dupe drivers..
so, it was probably in wlan.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-19 16:28:45)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

You will generally see the same HWID in one INF if there's different architecture the driver supports. You can get an idea of this here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790212.aspx

And as was pointed out to me earlier, I guess if an INF is EXACTLY the same as another it generally doesn't screw stuff up. But that's, I guess, where driver version and date comes in.

Perhaps the blind spot that was in the Spotlight Utility is completely gone by creating a purpose built tool? smile Well at least I would love to hope so.

I'd be happy to show you Tim! Just PM me your email address.

Btw, what time zone is the board on?

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-20 02:01:43)

v3.0.5 is out! Have fun!

Well i can't send money... so how does an upgrade to your membership sound...

Nice Job. Giving back to the community is an awesome thing to do and a rare and honorable quality.
Your efforts have been recognized by the team and myself.

Welcome to the testing team Kickarse!

Thank you for that VooDoo that you do! big_smile

jeff

PS you will find that the testing team forum is now visible to you... wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Welcome to the team! smile
v3.0.5 worked great the first time.
Crashed the second (and subsequent times) with "line -1" error.
I'll reboot and check again.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Where in the program did it crash for you smartepants??

I think it was something I did.
I copied all the DriverPacks to C:\D\
When I ran the tool, I typed out C:\D (instead of the default C:\D\M)
Clicked Export to "Excel", then clicked "Start".  Insta-crash.
Hasn't happened since though.  Good work.

Ahh I'll have to figure out a way to make it so that doesn't happen... thanks for testing!

Oh frigging no, time zone is not the same as "twilight zone"
I AM ashamed about the fact that I cannot link to the skipping "broadcom" drivers
(Is this because the broadcom generic chip is used by a wide variety of 'OEM-whom-uses-broadcom"?)
I remember I scanned every single of those  OEM "broadcom" with utilityscanner, and it outputted an empty csv.

for what it is worth.
somebody should link to \old DriverPacks
collect those over a year old

in Wlan we had like almost 300 folders
DIR /S | yopie001.txt
dragdrop (this is a cmd tool available to interested, team and testers with access to test dowwloads)
exell2007,
sort
root folder tally

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-22 13:19:12)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

OUCH.
Now, here is a subtle difference between DriverPacks BASE enhanced and Microsoft's setup.
For LOADING TXTmode, we do not use OEM at all, we use our mass storage.INI
(I know, the INI MIGHT be based on OEM, but most often, it is based on an INFs, or, in some cases a combination of filtered HWIDS strings found in drivers of same version inf files.)

Which is exactly why I chose to "pinch" this data for use with OfflineSysPrep, i.e. build a database from an outputted BartPE plugin for injection into an offline system.

Regards,
Galapo.

Agreed... no need to reinvent the wheel...

the mass storage ini is pre tweaked to provide the most comprehensive support available today...

Thanks to our dedicated team who have worked for untold hours massageing it towards perfection.

you may also not that several of the txt mode drivers have 'tag' entries. we use those tags to rename certain drivers taht would ordinarily be over written by a same name file...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Jaak wrote:

Oh frigging no, time zone is not the same as "twilight zone"
I AM ashamed about the fact that I cannot link to the skipping "broadcom" drivers
(Is this because the broadcom generic chip is used by a wide variety of 'OEM-whom-uses-broadcom"?)
I remember I scanned every single of those  OEM "broadcom" with utilityscanner, and it outputted an empty csv.

for what it is worth.
somebody should link to \old DriverPacks
collect those over a year old

in Wlan we had like almost 300 folders
DIR /S | yopie001.txt
dragdrop (this is a cmd tool available to interested, team and testers with access to test dowwloads)
exell2007,
sort
root folder tally

What do you mean by root folder tally?

he means the total number of sub-folders contained...

with m1 there is a path limitation of 4096 characters - this may also apply to sysprep IDK...
so PATH length can be a show stopper and has always been a concern for the layout of the DriverPacks.
you may have noticed we use the bare minimum number of alphanumeric sequences to our drivers
deliberately to avoid the 4096 cut off (all entries after 4096 are ignored)...

jeff

DriverPack Graphics A\A1 is a nightmare for pathlengths since the %SourceDisksNames% calls for a specific folder name.  The folder structure is kept to a minimum but can be hacked smaller.

From what I can tell, yes there is a 4096 char limit for the sysprep.inf line OemPNPDriversPath. However it doesn't seem that the registry has this limitation. That's why for all my images I import the driver paths into the registry instead of using OemPNPDriversPath.

I'm working on v3.0.8 now... some nice new features and fixes.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-09-23 08:20:08)

You're correct
The registry entry doesnt have this limit, and that is how we implement the search path with M2.

however i still think that a shorter path is more effecient / faster, even if more than 4096 is allowed...