Topic: sata mode ?

Hi,

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=c … B9+Quad+GT

I wanna make an instal with motherboard "ABIT QUAD GT", I have 6 SATA ports on it,I put 2 HDD sata and 2 DVD-RW,

in Bios, sata mode is IDE,but i have two others choice (RAID,AHCI)

what's better choice and what's difference ??

thanks ^^

PS:I know that in ahci ou raid mode,i must use driverpacks ^^

Re: sata mode ?

AHCI is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H … _Interface

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

AHCI is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H … _Interface

thanks,I will read this ^^

HDD wil be not detected if I don't us mastorage pack ??

what's difefrence with RAID ??

Last edited by abdou (2008-07-01 03:00:06)

ahci is looking for problems.
It sounds like that when you do not have native command cueing (which was apparently not supported natively in XP for all chips.) you gain no speed benefits.

Some people running vista see speed gains, some don't. The percieved gains depend on the controller and type of hard drive, and BIOS settings.
Switching between these settings in BIOS in a live system (after windows set up drivers..) is begging for trouble.

Last edited by Jaak (2008-07-01 03:35:48)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

ahci is looking for problems.
It sounds like that when you do not have native command cueing (which was apparently not supported natively in XP for all chips.) you gain no speed benefits.

Some people running vista see speed gains, some don't. The percieved gains depend on the controller and type of hard drive, and BIOS settings.
Switching between these settings in BIOS in a live system (after windows set up drivers..) is begging for trouble.

I undertand that you prefere RAID mode ??

No.
RAID is only good for when you actually want to set up a soft-RAID.

If you are going to reinstall, just switch to AHCI beforehand and use DPMS.
Just DO NOT switch modes with an OS already installed, that is guaranteed to screw things up beyond all reckognition.

Thing is, the BIOS will change the PCI IDs of the controller, the OS will likely not have the drivers for those present.
You will BSOD during boot because once the BIOS compatibility mode gets switched to the proper DMA, the OS cannot load further boot files from the drive.

Ok,thanks for all,I will make my instal and future installations with AHCI mode (because i have a store  to selling computer equipment and i format mor than 5 pc par days) ^^

i don't knwo what's soft-raid ^^

Last edited by abdou (2008-07-01 07:21:56)

Helmi wrote:

Just DO NOT switch modes with an OS already installed, that is guaranteed to screw things up beyond all reckognition.

That's exactly what I did. sad  But it only took me about 15 minutes to fix.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:
Helmi wrote:

That's exactly what I did. sad  But it only took me about 15 minutes to fix.

Well, see, you're a pro, we wouldn't have expected you to take any longer on this! tongue

Anyway, yes, you can supply the OS with the needed drivers beforehand so a switch will work out fine.
However, if you are aware of all this, you probably wouldn't come here asking, amirite?

There hardly ever is an "impossible", it's just a matter of how much it will take you to get it done and the general advice for the newcomer is rather "just don't do it" as opposed to a 15p. tut on how to work things out step-by-step.
Granted, the learning effects would be greater by the latter, but so is possible frustration and I don't want to scare them off for all times wink

abdou wrote:

Ok,thanks for all,I will make my instal and future installations with AHCI mode (because i have a store  to selling computer equipment and i format mor than 5 pc par days) ^^

In that case, make sure you provide your customers with an install medium that provides these MassStorage drivers or they will not be able to easily reinstall.
Unless you want them to come back to you for that and have them pay again...

i don't knwo what's soft-raid ^^

Soft RAID is what you call a RAID setup using the on-board HDD controller.
This solution relies heavily on the drivers and the CPU (which is also a reason you cannot port the RAID between systems unless they use the same mobo, same BIOS and drivers) and is hence also called fake RAID by many.

A real RAID uses a dedicated RAID controller, which ranges from, say, €300 onwards to some €3,000, uses its own CPU and RAM on the controller card, is usually faster and more reliable (because of portability).

This is not to denounce soft RAID, I'm using that myself as it provides an easy and cheap way to maximize HDD usability (especially with low HDD prices), but you need to be aware of what it can do and what it cannot do.

Helmi wrote:

Unless you want them to come back to you for that and have them pay again...

good idea big_smile...but I make installation for free for my customers lol (I wanna just provide better service and performance if it's possible ^^)

Helmi wrote:

Soft RAID is what you call a RAID setup using the on-board HDD controller.
This solution relies heavily on the drivers and the CPU (which is also a reason you cannot port the RAID between systems unless they use the same mobo, same BIOS and drivers) and is hence also called fake RAID by many.

A real RAID uses a dedicated RAID controller, which ranges from, say, €300 onwards to some €3,000, uses its own CPU and RAM on the controller card, is usually faster and more reliable (because of portability).

This is not to denounce soft RAID, I'm using that myself as it provides an easy and cheap way to maximize HDD usability (especially with low HDD prices), but you need to be aware of what it can do and what it cannot do.

other reasons to prefer AHCI ^^