Topic: Plug & Play Hardware Wizard

Hi,

in an old topic I found the following problem:

PROBLEM 5: During unattended install there's "New hardware found" wizard popup with "Plug and Play monitor" found. It tries to search drivers from internet which obviously fails. This is due bug in WinXP SP2 related to signed display drivers and unsigned monitor drivers. See links below for discussion, MS KB article and download on HP webpage that contains fix needed. HP archive needs to be extracted with some installshield decompiler like i6comp020.zip. Could this fix be integrated to DP like HD audio support?

Now I have the same issue with my unattandant installation.

I use the newest Driverpacks.

It's really annoying, 'cause the installation stops at this point, after you cancel the wizard twice, installation goes on and afterwards the driver is installed.

Is there a solution so far ?

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Plug & Play Hardware Wizard

maier64 wrote:

See links below for discussion, MS KB article and download on HP webpage that contains fix needed. HP archive needs to be extracted with some installshield decompiler like i6comp020.zip. Could this fix be integrated to DP like HD audio support?

I don't see any links?!

Anyway, yes, the Driver Signing Policy is a real pain in the arse if you are using unsigned drivers.
The problem here is a) not every manufacturer offers signed drivers and b) that Windows will always pick a singed driver over an unsigned one, even if it is (way) older.
So, if there is a signed driver supplied with Windows (as found on the RTM disc) but the DriverPacks deliver a newer (presumably better) unsigned driver, then Win will still pick the old one.

The solution here is to simply disable Driver Signing Policy in the winnt.SIF by setting the entry under

[Unattended]
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

That way, Win will pick whichever driver is newer regardless of signed status.

Not sure if this really fixes this very problem, though.
You speak of a bug in SP2, I have not heared of this before (not saying it doesn't exist, just didn't come across it yet).
You could also try to go ahead and use SP3, seeing as the final is already out (albeit inofficially, check thehotfixshare.net). Might fix that bug if it's a known one.

Thirdly, we offer a Monitor DP as a 3rd party DriverPack.
It contains quite a lot of monitor drivers, maybe your is included.
That should eliminate the need for an online search.

Thank you for replying so fast.

In my winnt.sif is that already included, it happens nevertheless.

I try the Monitor DP, but that take some time.

Thank you so far.

Thomas

BTW, where can I find those 3rd Party DP ?

Last edited by maier64 (2008-02-14 20:11:58)

maier64 wrote:

Thank you for replying so fast.

My pleasure.
Just happened to be on the forum when you posted, I guess wink

In my winnt.sif is that already included, it happens nevertheless.

Then it might indeed be the bug you were talking about.
In this case, I would really suggest giving SP3 a try - the latest BASE beta version is already optimized for it!
You can find it here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2332

I try the Monitor DP, but that take some time.

Ususally, you can simply reslip the DriverPacks into an already DPed source.
The old driver will be removed and then reslipstreamed.
So it only takes that plus rebuilding the ISO and burning wink

BTW, where can I find those 3rd Party DP ?

If you scroll down the main forum page, you will find it near the bottom.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewforum.php?id=13

Thanks again Helmi, after incl. the Monitor DP everything works fine.

If you wish to (and have enough space left on the disc), you can safely go ahead and also include the rest of the 3rd party DriverPack.
Does no harm but provides a lot of drivers in case you may need them. smile

They are only unofficial because we do not maintain them as closely as we do with the official ones.
They also do not include instructions for the Finisher (but they could, if added) and are mostly contributed to by the community rather than team members (although others as well as me have done quite some additions already).

Just FYI wink