Topic: Sysprep/DriverPacks Image Will Not Boot on Lenovo A61e

I have a Windows XP Sysprep image with DriverPacks that will not boot on a Lenovo A61e small form factor. I don't think it's missing mass-storage drivers because the Windows XP startup sequence churns for about 15 seconds, then the computer reboots, and this cycle is repeated endlessly until powered down. The chipset is the AMD 690V. The image works on all other computers. Any ideas?

Re: Sysprep/DriverPacks Image Will Not Boot on Lenovo A61e

The Windows XP installation routine is very sensitive towards RAM timings.
This Reboot Cycle of Doomâ„¢ is a common symptom that can even occur if your RAM is not (deliberately) overclocked.
Make sure to select "Safe Defaults" or similar in your BIOS rather than "Optimized Settings" (or such) during installation.
Obviously, make sure to rearrange the booting sequence afterwards so you can boot from your ODD.

You can restore any previous settings once the installation is finished.
This ususally is NOT a sign of defective RAM (though scanning it can never hurt) - I know systems that have and probabaly will continue to run for years without problems, yet they still fail installing XP properly without the safe BIOS options.

PS: You can also check for an updated BIOS version while you're at it.
I know the saying goes about not changing a running system, but yours obviously isn't (why else the (re-)install) plus, more or less recently (five years or so), MoBos tend to be delivered in a rather beta state to the customer so a BIOS update is ususally a routine maintenance task nowadays.