Topic: Is there a way to use DriverPacks using RIS & *NOT* using a $OEM$?

I'll do my best to explain what I mean....

I have a issue in that Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 R2 32-bit does not work with the setting:

OEMPreinstall = YES

in the .sif templates and using a $OEM$ folder.

[It gives a BSOD regarding the file SETUPDD.sys and a error code of 0x000000BE - have started a thread here: http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/foru … .php?t=347 ]

If i remove the $OEM$ folder and change the setting to "No", it installs fine, although of course, I have no drivers installed in this case.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the driverpacks in another way...i.e. by not having to have them inside a $OEM$ folder.

Is there a way to run a script on first logon that will copy them from i386 to the hard drive, and then perform the processes? Or to make them packaged as a switchless installer that can run at T-13. I'm not sure at which point it joins the domain, but i guess its not the end of the world if it doesnt.

The most important thing here is the LAN drivers really if there is another way to do it... because at least it could join the domain and i can set other things in motion to install the rest of the drivers [and the R2 add-on too].

Any thoughts welcome.... has anyone had any problems with this?

Cheers
Nath.

Nathan H. - Server & Development Officer @ CCC [Gov]
Webserver Host & site designer
Freelance MS SB OEM
...and general dogsbody wink

Re: Is there a way to use DriverPacks using RIS & *NOT* using a $OEM$?

DriverPacks get put in the OEM folder, which is not to be confused with the $OEM$ folder.  Have you tried just putting the OEM folder side by side with the I386 folder on your RIS drive?

Here's a list of the files that get changed and backed up by DriverPacks (may or may not be complete):

ADPU160M.sy_ -> adpu160m.org
ALIDE.sy_ -> ALIDE.org
DAC2W2K.sy_ -> dac2w2k.org
DAC960NT.sy_ -> dac960nt.org
dosnet.inf -> dosnet.org
DPTI2O.sy_ -> DPTI2O.org
MRAID35x.sy_ -> mraid35x.org
QL12160.sy_ -> ql12160.org
txtsetup.sif -> txtsetup.org
ULTRA.sy_ -> ultra.org
WINNT.sif -> winnt.org

The .org is a backup of the original.  I recommend expanding the modified files, and looking to see if there's are direct paths which you can alter to your network location.

The only thing that gets put in the $OEM$ folder is the finisher.  The finisher doesn't install drivers, nor does it make the computer recognize drivers - it's designed to add in the necessary software like the ATI Control Panel.  Just little things like that.  You should have drivers just fine, although you might experience a problem with the call to the finisher (GUIRunOnce or RunOnceEX - but all you have to do is take it out of there and you won't get the error).

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-09-14 23:51:04)

~TigerC10~

As you may have noticed, i have trouble explaining myself sometimes... mainly down to time constraints and not wishing to spend every waking moment on a forum wink

Have you tried just putting the OEM folder side by side with the I386 folder on your RIS drive?

Nope, as its not really the issue, as how would I start the process off?

It works fine with other images, just seems to be this particular OS - not 2003, but 2003 Ent SP2 [R2].

WINNT.sif isn't used on RIS installations as RIS installations use multiple templates that you can "pick & choose" during the F12 process.

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff, but not sure how it will apply to a RIS install.

Nath.

Freelance MS SB OEM

From what I understand, a RIS install uses unattended.txt by default instead of winnt.sif (it's the exact same thing as winnt.sif, but with a different name - go figure).  The base really should alter/create one of those...  But it doesn't since it expects the install platform to be a disc.

Those files that get altered are in the I386 directory (get used during install), and I would think that they use relative paths to refer to the OEM directory for the drivers.  So if you put the OEM directory side by side with I386, then it shouldn't have a problem...  I only mentioned opening the files to look for absolute paths because an absolute path would definetly screw something up (but I seriously don't think that you have to worry about absolute paths).

~TigerC10~

From what I understand, a RIS install uses unattended.txt by default instead of winnt.sif

Nope smile the name of it can be anything so long as it ends in .sif and resides in the templates folder inside i386 of the image. Its not quite like a CD install, which is why people need to use caution with RIS installs.

The base really should alter/create one of those...  But it doesn't since it expects the install platform to be a disc.

If it made it and put it in the usual location of a CD install, it would serve no purpose as RIS doesnt take it's templates from there [as mentioned above] plus there are differences in a RIS template and a normal CD-based one.

Havent the time unfortunately to go into the details of RIS for you, but i appreciate your feedback etc.

Those files that get altered are in the I386 directory (get used during install), and I would think that they use relative paths to refer to the OEM directory for the drivers.  So if you put the OEM directory side by side with I386, then it shouldn't have a problem...  I only mentioned opening the files to look for absolute paths because an absolute path would definetly screw something up (but I seriously don't think that you have to worry about absolute paths).

I agree with you there, however, you are missing my point.

Unless you use RIS, you wont fully understand what I mean, not the layout as i believe DP fully supports RIS installs, being that a XP RIS install [using RVM/NLITE/B.T.S.] works perfectly. I use AutoImage for this and i dont have a problem here.

The XP build looks like this:

RISIMAGENAME\   >   i386\
                >   $OEM$\   >   $1\

and inside the $1 directory are the B.T.S. files and bin directory.

This may be down to how AutoImage uses DP_Base via API to add the drivers but I can't be 100%. All I know is it works for XP like this, but doesnt for the specific version of the OS I've mentioned. And even if i dont use Bâshrat the Sneaky at all, i still get the BSOD issue unless i work out a way to not use the $OEM$ directory you see.

The issue is fundementally confusing but i'll find a way somehow smile

Any RIS users about please post... would help me out to know if i'm alone in this specific problem or not lol

Regards
Nath.

Last edited by tarquel (2007-09-15 02:30:12)

Freelance MS SB OEM

Are you using the official Microsoft Remote Installation Services?  Because everything I've read about the MS RIS says that unattended.txt is the "template"....

But... Uh...  Here....  Try looking around these places for help:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended_RI … _f127.html

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsse … x?mfr=true

The first one is specifically unattended windows installs, which encompass the $OEM$ folder.

However...

tarquel wrote:

The XP build looks like this:

RISIMAGENAME\   >   i386\
                >   $OEM$\   >   $1\

and inside the $1 directory are the B.T.S. files and bin directory.

My bin directory is located inside a folder called "OEM" which sits beside "$OEM$".  They are NOT the same. hmm

~TigerC10~

Please understand that I have been using this system for about 2-3 years now... I am using RIS that comes with Server 2003. I know of no other thing lol. The templates are named as I said [microsoft's own docs can be dodgy sometimes remember wink]... and you can have multiple ones.

Your first link I used to visit very regularly, using RogueSpear's AutoRIS script's, until he made his own site and subsequently made a new tool called AutoImage. This is what I am using and works very well with everything I've thrown at it.

I *know* they are not the same. I never stated they were. In a RIS setup [at least as far as AutoImage uses it], it creates things differently. Obviously you havent used it or you would know this wink

I can assure you that the XP build works fine and installs the extra drivers [unless its just some fluke hehe]

None of this is helping me with my original question tho....

Nath.

Freelance MS SB OEM