Topic: How to remove text massstorage drivers from driverpacks and xp cd

This is my original topic on msdn http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=103477
My problem is the boot drive doesn't load to C: after install because of the presence of card readers during install (because XP is stupid) and can't be changed without another reinstall while unplugging the readers.

One easy fix is to stop them from appearing, eg. unplug, disable in bios, or remove the drivers during text MS driver setup. The harder one would be to use batch files and stuff to move the drives around or otherwise during install.

I'd like to know how to remove only the card reader drivers or others from the xp sp2 cd's (for a standard install) and how to remove them after using driverpacks massstorage drivers.

I looked at nlites remove comp's thingy but couldn't find much, I'm not sure who should be responsible for xp's stupid flaw though its only annoying if you have to install it everyday with computers that have card readers.

I'll link msdn to here if this evolves a little so we can work together I guess, though maybe I'm assuming too much thinking this is a common flaw, could be all in my head.

anyways, thanks for any and all replies,
cheers,

Re: How to remove text massstorage drivers from driverpacks and xp cd

First of, you may find additional info here:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=101

You could also have posted in there instead of opening a new thread, but that's too late now (I can't move around and merge single posts).

beady wrote:

I'd like to know how to remove only the card reader drivers or others from the xp sp2 cd's (for a standard install) and how to remove them after using driverpacks massstorage

I don't know your card reader but mine directly plugs into the USb port on the mobo and is hence reckognized as a USB mass storage device.
Unless you wanted to remove USB mass storage drivers (which includes external HDDs and USB sticks!), I don't see how this is feasible.

I really can't give you any further advise apart from either unplugging or disabling USB boot ability in the BIOS because for whatever reason, my card reader works just fine during installation and doesn't screw things up *shrugs*

So, never having experienced these problems myself, it's kind of hard trying to imagine a solution for it hmm

Re: How to remove text massstorage drivers from driverpacks and xp cd

Thanks for the post, I only searched these boards on how to remove drivers specifically, the memory card topic only confirms what I already know, changing the bios settings or removing the usb device works, you can think or this topic as the same problem but with a different solution as a work-around that I can automate, plus I've already made a topic on msfn asking specificly for similar solutions (how to disable them using unattended methods or otherwise).
Removing all USB MS devices from showing up in the text mode setup is fine, I can just use a dif cd when installing xp on ext/usb drives (which should make that ext drive C: anyway since thats my problem), unless you mean they will be disabled in windows after install too, if thats true then could there be a way to install them later in setup or in the/as a finisher?

thanks for the replies

Last edited by beady (2007-08-27 12:22:47)