Topic: ISO works fine with VMware, but wont go past "Setup is inspecting...."

I've created an unattended disc and when I load the ISO into VMware, everything runs as I expect it to, but as soon as I burn the image to a DVD and load it on to my computer I see the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message appear and then dissapear and then nothing.

So here is what I have done:

1. Ripped my Source Windows XP SP2 OEM disc with nLite
2. Installed RyanVM updates and some addons
3. Slipstreamed ALL Driver Packs using "Method 2"
4. Used the Windows tool to create a .sif file
5. Used RyanVM Integrator to make an ISO (and when I ran into the problem outlined above, I tried creating an image with CDGUI)
6. Burned the image using Nero.

Here is my Winnt.sif file:

;
; Generated by DriverPacks BASE 7.05.2
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[Data]
	AutoPartition=0
	MsDosInitiated=No
	UnattendedInstall = "Yes"
	AutomaticUpdates=yes	

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
	UnattendSwitch="yes"

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword="****************"
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    AutoLogon=Yes
    AutoLogonCount=1
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=4

[UserData]
    ProductKey=********************
    FullName=""
    OrgName=""

[Display]
    BitsPerPel=32
    Xresolution=1920
    YResolution=1200
    Vrefresh=60

[TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=107
    Dialing=Tone
    AreaCode=604
    LongDistanceAccess="1"

[RegionalSettings]
    LanguageGroup=1
    Language=00000409

[SetupMgr]
    DistFolder=C:\windist
    DistShare=windist

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
	msmsgs=off
	msnexplr=off
	freecell=off
	hearts=off
	minesweeper=off
	pinball=off
	solitaire=off
	spider=off
	zonegames=off

[GUIRunOnce]
	command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

[WindowsFirewall]
	Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
	Mode = 0

Re: ISO works fine with VMware, but wont go past "Setup is inspecting...."

erm... distribution share from DVD?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

JeremyNNT wrote:

3. Slipstreamed ALL Driver Packs using "Method 2"
4. Used the Windows tool to create a .sif file
5. Used RyanVM Integrator to make an ISO (and when I ran into the problem outlined above, I tried creating an image with CDGUI)
6. Burned the image using Nero.

Try flipping #3 and #4 around and see whether that works.

Also, why are you using both RVM as well as nLite?
You can make an ISO with nLite and you can also create the SIF entried with it.
You can even slipstream the RVM packs with it, so you do not need to run it separately (that is, if you do use the update packs).

You're all over the place with your tools...

You shouldn't need to use nLite to rip the source disk.  Just copy all of the files from the CD to a place on your hard drive.  It's easier that way.

Then you should create your winnt.sif file (just in case RVM uses it, but it probably doesn't).

Then you can use RVM to update everything.

Then you should integrate the DriverPacks (driverpacks does alter your winnt.sif file, so creating it after the DriverPacks integration will get rid of the alterations needed).

Finally you should create a bootable data disk ISO with Nero, instead of using RVM or nLite (they can mess stuff up).  CDGUI is good too.  After that burning it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT:
Your winnt.sif file seems to still have the data altered by DriverPacks, so I think that it's just that you're using a different tool for making your iso.

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-08-23 08:54:50)

~TigerC10~

Hi
a not so subtle hint about reading the tutorial in my signature is in order.

The tute in my sig is quite different then what we first had in the topic, as I added some worthwhile tidbits of information which can help avoid mistakes like this.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

otoh, I figure the screen resolution you desire is part of the problem.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Woah, yeah... the screen resolution is kinda high...  Try 1600x1200 if you know your monitor/video card can handle it.  1024x768 should be ample until you actually get into the system...  Worst case senario use 800x600 and you know it'll work.

Last edited by TigerC10 (2007-08-23 11:50:18)

~TigerC10~

Ok so here is the short of it, I tried editing my sif file, I tried doing the steps in the correct order and then I finally just followed *ONLY* what is in the tutorial (using all the latest driver-packs) and choosing method 2 (because I'm using every DP) and using the QSC because even though DPBase says not to use it for method two, the tutorial says to use it for all new versions.

I can still install in a VM just fine, but whenever I put the DVD (burned with nlite) into a computer to test, it hits the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" and goes no further.

The only thing that I can think of that would be causing this would be some sort of problem with burning the discs, but I dont know what I could be doing wrong.

Last edited by JeremyNNT (2007-08-23 18:13:09)

do not forget what I first said "distribution share from DVD?"

the winnt.sif points to a distribution share.

I don't think that's wise for a disc based install.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

After following the tutorial, the only lines in the winnt.sif are (this is because I purposely made no edits or changes):

;
; Generated by DriverPacks BASE 7.05.2
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[Data]
    MsDosInitiated=No
[GUIRunOnce]
    command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

I'm trying to do this step by step to see where exactly its failing.....

Jaak wrote:

Hi
a not so subtle hint about reading the tutorial in my signature is in order.

The tute in my sig is quite different then what we first had in the topic, as I added some worthwhile tidbits of information which can help avoid mistakes like this.

So, I guess it's about time I update the link in my sig then, eh? wink

JeremyNNT wrote:

[...] and using the QSC because even though DPBase says not to use it for method two, the tutorial says to use it for all new versions.

BASE is actually saying that?

Are you using the English version or one of the translations?
I don't remember it saying that, but then again I have only been using the (created by me) German translation so I can't really remember...

Yeah (I'm at work so I can't double check), unless I was way too tired last night and I was seeing things, I believe in brackets it says that QSC enabled is recommended for Method 1 and disabled is recommended for Method 2.

This conflicts with Jaak's tutorial that says "For DPsBase releases after 7.04, please ALWAYS use QSC. (You can Avoid a Bug this way.)"

All of the files I am using I downloaded from here: http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

Last edited by JeremyNNT (2007-08-24 05:15:40)

Helmi wrote:
JeremyNNT wrote:

[...] and using the QSC because even though DPBase says not to use it for method two, the tutorial says to use it for all new versions.

BASE is actually saying that?

Are you using the English version or one of the translations?
I don't remember it saying that, but then again I have only been using the (created by me) German translation so I can't really remember...

Yeah.  The base says that.  When I had my problem a few months ago I found that because I wasn't enabling the QSC it wasn't adding the .CAT files to the svcpack - but it did alter the svcpack inf to include the lines for the corresponding updates.  When I tried to use the bug tracker to report the issue my account never would activate...  Never could log in. lol Anyway I was afraid to enable QSC because the base said it was recommended not to.  It's not a big deal though.

Anyway, despite being told to use QSC for method one, you should enable for method 2 anyway so that you don't have that issue.

~TigerC10~