Topic: Host driverpacks via Torrent

I would seriously consider hosting the driverpacks on bit torrent so that they are more accessible. The downloads are kind of slow and downloading via bit torrent would be much faster and reliable. Ryan does this for his update packs and it's much better this way. I hope you consider it.

Re: Host driverpacks via Torrent

Yes, good idea.

I don't know, they change pretty frequently...  That means that the .torrent files would be floating around outdated......

hmm

~TigerC10~

How about a torrent of an archive of all of the DriverPacks?

Sure it updates often, but so do drivers it is just how it is. smile

driverpacks torrents download link?

Well, torrents can be set to just include all of the DriverPacks, so that downloaders could mark only the packs that they want for download.

Still it seems like too much upkeep.

~TigerC10~

TigerC10 wrote:

I don't know, they change pretty frequently...  That means that the .torrent files would be floating around outdated......

hmm

So?
Old websites are still floating around on archive.org, does that mean the web is outdated pretty quickly?

Firstly, we get enough requests from folks that want a specific older version of one DP because that worked better for them.
While this is only an interim solution because the actualy goal should be tracking down and eliminating the problem in the current pack, the fact that these old packs are not available at all is probabaly not the best idea overall.

Secondly, old DriverPacks would only "float around" as long as omebody is still "hosting" or offering the file.
No sources on the P2P network, no old files available.
I would assume that the official host would only keep the most recent versions along with the .TORRENT files that reference only these files.
No .TORRENT to reference the file, no way to obtain the file (or has Torrent become searchable as of late?).
"Problem" (I don't see it as such) solved.

Thirdly, and I know this is kind of farfetched imagination, if the BASE was to become Torrent-able (it can automatically get the .TORRENT file, connect to the network and DL the required files to replace the user's current outdated ones), any user would only get the newest files automatically by this distribution system.
If he wanted to obtain older ones, that would hence only work manually - more or less the same it does now (post a request on the forum and hope for someone to still have the file).

Oh, and fourthly, I favour the emule/edonkey P2P network, but that's just personal preference I guess smile tongue

No need for DP_BASE to learn how to handle torrents as it's kind of a major operaton to implement. All it needs to know is how to download torrent files and submit them to your normal torrent client.

The next site will have an integrated bittorrent tracker, and probably a webseeder as well. This means that if few seeders are available for a certain torrent, the download should still be downloadable. It's the best of both worlds.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com