Topic: Compressing as one 7z

about 15MB can be saved if the drivers was compressed as a single 7z rathere then one for each pack.

Re: Compressing as one 7z

That may be nice if you are low on available space on your disc (move to DVD finally! LOL) but would mean a redownload of the whole darn package each time a single driver is updated.
I guess there are more people not on broadband than not using a DVD drive.
Also, if you are traffic-limited by your ISP, that's probabaly not the best idea, too.

This would mean in effect, less frequent DriverPacks updates to accomodate for this, another not so great solution.

If you are using Nero to burn your discs, there's an option to enable short lead-out.
That saves about 12MB on the disc with no downside (I've been using it for years and if there is any I have yet to detect it on the countless systems I use my discs on).

Granted, if you combined both options, you could save even more, but this alone sounds like a much more feasable solution to me.
Besides, you can use nLite to strip your source of any unneeded language files, that should save about the same amount if not more (and while you're at it, kill the search dog and the MSN browser in the process, these two are definately unneeded!).

And for those that still need the 15MB, they can just repack the DriverPacks themselves, IMO.

Don't get this wrong, it's great to point this out for those that are low on space, but since this is Feature Requests, I suppose yor goal was to have this officially approved...

Well the DPs_BASE already repacks the drivers so i was thinking it could simply compress them to one 7z or have this as an option, having the driver packs as seporate downloads like now is a greate idea.

If you trafic is limited your a fool, or maybe your living in a contry with very crappy ISP's...

I already striped my source with nLite, last time (2005) i striped the help files (~30MB) and only that way was able to fit every thing on a single CD.
I still have a few systems to maintain that have no dvd drive.

Yeah if nothing else this post can serve as a kind of tip/quide.

Anothere benifit of having just 1 file is that the gui extractor will how a total % instead of just the obscure 1/7 and a current %.

AJenbo wrote:

Well the DPs_BASE already repacks the drivers so i was thinking it could simply compress them to one 7z or have this as an option, having the driver packs as seporate downloads like now is a greate idea.

It repacks them?
Where?
This is news to me!
It only copies them over and renames (shortens) them, AFAIK.

If you trafic is limited your a fool, or maybe your living in a contry with very crappy ISP's...

My traffic is not limited and I am satisfied with my ISP.

However, I can easily imagine how it must be if that is the case, so we should not forget these people.
Also, it does not have anything to do with being a fool or likewise, some just cannot afford an all-you-can-download contract and if you are living in such a country, it's hardly your own fault, hum?
What are these folks supposed to do?
Move to your country, maybe?

I already striped my source with nLite, last time (2005) i striped the help files (~30MB) and only that way was able to fit every thing on a single CD.
I still have a few systems to maintain that have no dvd drive.

Yeah, I know that situation, I was in it until three or so months ago, too.
However, I managed to strip enough stuff off the CD to fit all the drivers and post-SP2 updates on it.
Besides, you can also use 800/900MB CD-Rs, though there is no RWs in that fashion, unfortunately.

Anothere benifit of having just 1 file is that the gui extractor will how a total % instead of just the obscure 1/7 and a current %.

True, but as it does not display any estimated time left, it's more a cosmetical change anyhow.
Besides, who is really going to sit and look at that, eh? tongue
It was just implemented because an external coder came up with it and our tests revealed no downside.
Better than staring at a blue screen with (presumably) nothing going on...
Anyway, the point of an unattended installation is exactly not to sit in front of it big_smile

Hmm i it dosn't recompress? well i guess this harddrive is just slower then i expected then smile

800MB cds sunk in to the ground a couple of years ago, it's posible that i can dig somthing up at a shady shop thouhg. I never seen 900MB cd's

I blaim the sucky ISP not the user smile, maybe they should complain, moving contry seams a bit radical smile

No doubth i like this progress bar is way better then back when there was just a black screen with, had 2 users tell me it was frozzen because of that big_smile

Maybe i got sided tracked from the true purpos of unattended after all this testing in vpc tongue

Helmi wrote:

I guess there are more people not on broadband than not using a DVD drive.

However, so we should not forget these people.

Many many thanks for your care to these people
------------------

@ AJenbo
here in egypt , there are alot still use Dial-up Connection to get to the internet