Topic: SFXminiPacks

THESE DRIVERS CANNOT CO-EXIST.

These Self Extracting Files are intended to be used INSTEAD of other driver(s).
These SFXminiPacks contain the Mass Storage INI section that has to be replaced as well.

An example ;
Unzip Mass storage,
Replace driver at Location D\M\H\2 and INI section [H-2] with the txt you find in For_INI.txt
Then repack Mass storage ( 7zip the D folder and INI )

We will tell you the location of the files these SFXminiPacks can replace.

These files are for your convenience.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
; Highpoint Rocketraid hpt374

; HighPoint RocketRAID 404/454 ATA RAID (HPT374)
; DriverVer=05/08/2004, 3.0.4
; SFX filename H2_404_454.exe
; Location D\M\H\2
; download location http://driverpacks.mirror.thesneaky.com … 04_454.exe

Last edited by Jaak (2007-11-24 11:35:49)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Re: SFXminiPacks

Can the bios version be read out using a SMBIOS query which would modify the finisher?

Hi Chud.

That would be convenient, but by the time Finisher runs and checks exceptions, it is too late.

The newer BIOS/driver has ALL HWIDs that the driver for OLD BIOS has, but will not work for old bios.
Can you make this query happen during TXTmode?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

probably  (not realy)   the whole reason why  "method 2"   uses a fake  setup.exe  instead of  (whatever .exe )  is because   running one at the end of txtmode is still not possible  at this point i'd recoment  one of 2 choice 
either you  use the F6 key   or you would  nead to create a magic multiboot  cdrom  - there in fact the only noticable diference would be   the set of drivers that you include...   

the 1 thing that i DO wonder is if its possible  ( i never checed )  to instead of useing a flopy disk  it would be possible  to use some kind of  supdir on your cdrom  or  usb-pendrive ...

disclaimer:
Any posts written by me or on my behalf comes strictly with no implicit warenty unless clearly stated otherwise.
Following any advise i might give, is done soly at one's own risk.
Never give away person-identifiable information about yourself unless you absolutely know for sure you can trust the person you give it to...

-I- wrote:

the 1 thing that i DO wonder is if its possible  ( i never checed )  to instead of useing a flopy disk  it would be possible  to use some kind of  supdir on your cdrom  or  usb-pendrive ...

With Vista, yes, with XP, not AFAIK.
There may be some hacks allowing this oen way or the other but it's not officially supported, very much to my dismay (at least until I discovered the DriverPacks wink).

Promise FastTrak TX2200/TX2300 use different driver version for a BIOS version too.
http://www.promise.com/support/download … &go=GO

I don't own any previous mentioned hardware and can't test myself.

The big question:
Can a false driver version destroy data? Destroy a existing RAID?
Can anybody try this condition at real hardware?

What about: don't include any above drivers to DriverPack by default?
A customer has to include appropiate driver always.

A bugged driver could certainly cause some file system corruption that could render your data broken (howver, chances are you can fix that).
Unless HWIDs are identical, a "false" driver should not even install.

I doubt it could "destroy" the array itself, though.

Most likely it won't even work and you cannot access your data at all, hence not even corrupt it.
In any case, I do not suggest going ahead and trying without backing up your most important data.
But that is a no-brainer and counts for each and every action.
Experimenting with drivers no matter what device is not a task to be performed on a productive system with sensitive data on it!

Helmi said
"Unless HWIDs are identical, a "false" driver should not even install."

SFXminiPacks came into being because that was a condition some driver makers created.
Different Bios, Different Systemfile, SAME HWIDs, Driver could load during txtmode, could see hard drive, and then do a BSOD once the enhanced features load.
(txtmode is basic level, GUI driver is enhanced level)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Got a little question here.

I've just finished testing the new MassStorage driverpack, and regretfully it still won't work with my SiI3112 SataLink card. Substituting the drivers from the SFXMiniPacks also doesn't work for me.

Now the funny thing is that in the MassStorage driverpack the newest BIOS is mentioned being 4.x.84. I've checked on the website of Silicon Image multiple times, and I also searched with Google, but the highest version BIOS I can find is 4.3.83. Where can I find this 4.x.84 BIOS that is mentioned?

Anyway, gonna try and downgrade my BIOS version to 4.3.79 to see if that one will work with the drivers from SFXMiniPack.

well, I had not noticed that.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/sup … sid=4&
this says 4.x.84, and when you click the link, it leads to BIOS 4.3.84, but it then spcifies chip variant 3512...

but... huh?
When one looks for 3112 bios, you get bios 4.2.83.
small wonder there are always problems with silicon image.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

well, I had not noticed that.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/sup … sid=4&
this says 4.x.84, and when you click the link, it leads to BIOS 4.3.84, but it then spcifies chip variant 3512...

but... huh?
When one looks for 3112 bios, you get bios 4.2.83.
small wonder there are always problems with silicon image.

Yup, I saw that too. And even the highest version of the 3512 chipset only goes to 4.3.83, so I have absolutely no idea where the 4.x.84 comes from. I think I'm going to try and contact Silicon Image about this thing, since I think programming the wrong BIOS in your card, if it even works, might not have desirable effects.

Also some typo's from me;
- SiI3112 has BIOS 4.2.xx
- SiI3512 has BIOS 4.3.xx

SiLicon removed.
we solved many issues in the 710xX testpacks.

we may add SiLicon image 3114 drivers at a later date.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.