Topic: [IMPL] Areca SATA RAID SCSIPORT x86 WinXP driver v6.20.00.14

For sometime I have been editing the massstorage DP to add these updated drivers. I have had no problems since using them and they also detect the areca raid virtual device. The drivers in the massstorage DP do not contain the inf file for this so a dialog pops up during GUIRunOnce asking for the drivers.

I sometimes forget to edit the DP after downloading the latest version and then I'm fooked, any chance of including them?.

thanks

Link for x86 WinXP

release txt

******************************************************************************************
**        ARECA "SATA PCI RAID" Driver Release 
******************************************************************************************
** History:
**        REV#	DATE		DESCRIPTION
**     1.00.00.00	03/31/2004	First release
**     1.01.00.00	11/29/2004	Bug fix with Bus reset if PHY error(Device error)
**     1.02.00.00	06/29/2005	Bug fix with abort command,add ARC1x70 serial adapters support
**     1.20.00.13	11/29/2005	add ioctl code 'ARCMSR_IOCTL_FLUSH_ADAPTER_CACHE',
**				customer can send this command for sync its raid volume data,
**				Bug fix with abort command,
**				scheduling pending ccb with first in first out
**				add scsi device "iop processor" id 16
**		7/29/2006		add SAS RAID adapters support
**     6.20.00.14	03/22/2007	Bug on shutdown notify

Re: [IMPL] Areca SATA RAID SCSIPORT x86 WinXP driver v6.20.00.14

Hi
will do it tonight.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi benners,
done, and released.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

Hi benners,
done, and released.

Hi jtdoom
thanks for this, I'll rebuild the disc later and post back.

Hi
I advise you first  look at AR\1.. and AR\2 and the mass storage ini.
If I missed something you normally include, report asap.

EDIT, since it used a different sys-size and had support for newer models, I did not update, but add the driver.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-06-27 18:22:09)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

Hi
I advise you first  look at AR\1.. and AR\2 and the mass storage ini.
If I missed something you normally include, report asap.

EDIT, since it used a different sys-size and had support for newer models, I did not update, but add the driver.

The way you have done it is similar to the way I used. I created the 2nd folder and added the same files - the oem and pdb, I also deleted the arc1220.inf from the [AR-1] and edited the [AR-2] ms_1_hwids to just have the PCI\VEN info for my model (arc1220).

Upon my first try after changing the ini WRT the hpcissm2 problem I got a BSOD upon start of the GUI portion, no file name listed just the mem address. I tried a few variations and rebuilds and found that if the ms_1_tag line under [AR-2] is changed then no BSOD.

change

ms_1_tag		= "arecsasr"

to

ms_1_tag		= "arcm_x86"

Is there a reason why you named it arecsasr, I am new to editing the driverpacks and don't fully understand the "ms_" lines.

Thanks again for this.

the line
ms_1_tag        = "arecsasr" is because both drivers use arcm_x86.sys

when Base creates the cabs for txtmode, it gives the second one another name, and in this case that is  arecsasr.sys.
since second one has SAS.. areca SAS RAID , this seemed good enough to describe it.

once plug and play loads, the newer one should get picked.

your idea of removing the INF for the controller from that older driverset is good, if you also remove its HWID in AR-1

btw, thanks for reporting in that other topic.
The typo I made this morning (had worked all night) made people look for the cause, and then they revealed older errors as well.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I reread all this.. I get the feeling that AR-1 can go entirely.
(or, in other words, that this new driver can be used as an update for the older)

the reason I let it there, is that I do not know wether the manufactor changed chip design over the years.

you can run a test with AR-1 and that folder gone, and if that works for you, good.
If that old folder causes BSOD, then definately remove it (and its INI entry) and tell us.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

the line
ms_1_tag        = "arecsasr" is because both drivers use arcm_x86.sys

when Base creates the cabs for txtmode, it gives the second one another name, and in this case that is  arecsasr.sys.
since second one has SAS.. areca SAS RAID , this seemed good enough to describe it.

once plug and play loads, the newer one should get picked.

your idea of removing the INF for the controller from that older driverset is good, if you also remove its HWID in AR-1

btw, thanks for reporting in that other topic.
The typo I made this morning (had worked all night) made people look for the cause, and then they revealed older errors as well.

No probs, I did remove the HWID for my model the old way that I did it but, with the latest DP version I don't have to, the only problem is the BSOD when the ms_1_tag        = "arecsasr".

I use Siginets integrator to slipstream the drivers and that uses the DP api, could this cause the BSOD problem?. If I understand right when the txtsetup.sif file is updated with the massstorage drivers the ones from [AR-1] will not be included as I have ms_1_tag        = "arcm_x86" for both AR-1 and AR-2 and the arcm_x86 value in the sif file will be overwritten with the device name from [AR-2], if that makes sense :-)

I cannot think of a reason for the BSOD but if I cannot get it to work with the different tag lines would it be a possibility just to have the newer drivers in the DP instead of both?. I know new cards are supported with the new drivers but the old cards are also supported.

Thanks.

if the old are supported, the AR-1 can safely go.
EDIT; matter of fact, the BSOD is probably caused by loading two different SYS files for same chip.

I am looking at a Silicon-Image update at the moment, and can do this while I am at it.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-06-28 08:52:10)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

if the old are supported, the AR-1 can safely go.
EDIT; matter of fact, the BSOD is probably caused by loading two different SYS files for same chip.

I am looking at a Silicon-Image update at the moment, and can do this while I am at it.

Sweet, thanks

AR-1 is out, the new version got up not long ago..

This time I ran debug sessions and tests.
Checked txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf.
I don't trust WYSIWYG editors no more.
All unneeded tabs and spaces in the INI are gone, so one immediately sees carriage returns.. wink

It's amazing that a single comma or carriage return can break this.. But that is what can happen.
Any small typo can break this. sad
Like an underscore that goes missing (it is a a mystery how that happened). 
Some people take the time to figure out what went wrong when it goes critically wrong, and detailed reports do help. We do need some extra testers, and people who already make their own modifictions can tell us how  to make better modifications.
We need Dr Watsons too.. Yesterday proved this, don't you think?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom,

Would you like me to be a tester?

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Hi Echo_platoon
You're a good Watson, so yes..
I'll contact Bâshrat the Sneaky.

just did some tests, and the answer to the twoliner you metioned is that they can co-exist, and do what they must do. (of course, if dac960nt is needed during TXTmode because 2000 cannot see the hard drive, then it has to be enabled for 2000.. (and possibly disable another, to avoid having it bounce a memory boundary.))

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

It's amazing that a single comma or carriage return can break this.. But that is what can happen.
Any small typo can break this. sad
Like an underscore that goes missing (it is a a mystery how that happened). 
Some people take the time to figure out what went wrong when it goes critically wrong, and detailed reports do help. We do need some extra testers, and people who already make their own modifictions can tell us how  to make better modifications.
We need Dr Watsons too.. Yesterday proved this, don't you think?

I know what you mean WRT typos, the number of times I have shouted at my AutoIt scripts saying they are right before clearing my eyes, seeing the missing bracket or quote and then quietly fixing it goes into high double digits.

I have just rebuilt my disc and it works perfectly, thank you. Regarding testing I only have 3 machines, all Nvidia gfx, one with RAID array, one laptop (always have probs with the DP Nvidia gfx so use the OEMs), when the DriverPacks are released a rebuild is done and tested on all 3 and if there are any problems I try to sort of post on the forums.

I do sometimes have the time to spend (on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern), but will take some time to understand the ini, unless there is a readme somewhere. If there is anything I can do that fits my setup, let me know and I will try, this is the type of project that needs to stay alive and if more people help it lessens the burden of others.

hi Benners
a txt exists
There was peer review on it, and some writers' collaboration, and I called it learning pains...

It tells a story.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1688

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

hehe, when I read the story, I went BINGO!
The Dell [d-3] and LSi [L-4] dillema was documented in this.
(there you go guys, one fine reason to write documentation on what was done.)
The LSI driver mentioned in there had been updated since then, and was now newer, plus that it now listed one more DELL than that Dell [d-3] itself had had.

Really, the recent reducing of BSOD was because Overlap was reduced.
During TXTmode, it it really has to be avoided.
[D-3] is therefore gone.

BSOD... I want it to mean "Bring Sushi Or Dumplings".
The observations we put in that learning pains txt will be a useful basis for future helpers.

When I did the recent Silicon Image update, I looked at ALL the HWIDs these two updates supported.
Every single one was searched for and no overlap was allowed.
That is tedious work, since we still have no database.

This would be a wet dream.
Dbase 1; what HWIDs do we support in the released packs.
2, what is in those new drivers.
3, find overlap.
Then, use your brains and advanced comparison tools..
Common sense tells me that people make errors.
Peer review is a good way to correct errors.
Don't shoot the pianist. Next tune played gets you your honey .

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-06-29 16:30:52)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY SEARCH (For Txt) DOES NOT BRING UP Txtsetup.sif IN THE RESULTS.

That was with caps-lock ON on purpose.

Last edited by jtdoom (2007-06-29 16:38:05)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Echo_Platoon wrote:

jtdoom,

HOOT, HOOT.

you are now officially ours, and first errant is about BSOD.

BSOD will mean 'bring sushi or dumplings' when we are done.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:
Echo_Platoon wrote:

jtdoom,

HOOT, HOOT.

you are now officially ours, and first errant is about BSOD.

BSOD will mean 'bring sushi or dumplings' when we are done.

Thanks,  jtdoom.  Now, where do I go to download the beta versions of the DriverPacks, so I could look through the files and test them.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

jtdoom wrote:

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY SEARCH (For Txt) DOES NOT BRING UP Txtsetup.sif IN THE RESULTS.

That was with caps-lock ON on purpose.

Hidden file attribute maybe?
I think there's a setting in search that omits results in hidden files, even though you can (and should, lol) enable the display of such...

well, folder options are set to show all extentions, hidden maps and files, system files, and yet file-manager's file search (for txtstring in files) will not show matches (which I know exist) in that file.

if your XP does show reults, I may have to do a re-install.
(I've been messing on main rig too often lately since the test machines are in overhaul. (read, gutted))

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

well, folder options are set to show all extentions, hidden maps and files, system files, and yet file-manager's file search (for txtstring in files) will not show matches (which I know exist) in that file.

if your XP does show reults, I may have to do a re-install.
(I've been messing on main rig too often lately since the test machines are in overhaul. (read, gutted))

Yes, I can find that one by simply searching for "txt" in the root of my UWXPCD folder.
Pressing [T] once will actually jump to this search entry (there's a plethora of them so it was hard to spot it with the naked eye wink).

I can find the file easily enough..

but, after a slipstream... when I put VMS in that search for TXT dialog box, and let it look for VMS (which ought be in txtsetup.SIF because slipstream added VMSCSI to it.) then it won't show me that txtsetup.sif has that bit of txt..

strange.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I see, you mean you are searching inside the file rather than for the file.
My mistake.

Have you tried adding a wildcard (*) at the end of VMS (--> VMS*)?
Generally, search should not just search for the lone phrase you entered, but who knows.
Maybe another bug to be reported to Redmond wink