Topic: SVCHOST error

Just had 2 PC's that I reloaded XP on. Everything worked perfectly until the client got it home and loaded the only 3 MS updated available.

These were:

Root Certificate
KB905474 Genuine Advantage
KB890830 April Malware Scanner

Under instruction, they opened in Safe Mode, choose NO and did a System Restore prior to these updates.

Everything OK

Microsoft wanted lots of money from me to try and resolve this, its their problem !!!!!

Hope this helps.

Re: SVCHOST error

Maybe it's another WGA hiccup...

Try installing the other two updates if they need be (for instance, the MRT is only needed when you cannot use any other (often better) software for the task.
Just decline the EULA for WGA and it won't install and not nag you about not being installed.

FYI

This fixed the problem

1. Boot into safe mode
2. Disable automatic updates in Windows
3. Reboot system into normal mode
4. Do a manual Windows update
5. Enable automatic updates in Windows
4. Reboot once again

Can't wait until "patch Tuesday" in May to see what Microsoft screws up next.

Is it me, or is Microsoft's patch testing almost non existent.

Thanks for the advise Helmi

p.s. I like your politically correct "hiccup" rather than my more abrupt "screwup"

BigBrit wrote:

Is it me, or is Microsoft's patch testing almost non existent.

One seriously has to wonder what the use of this "Patch Day" is when it neither helps in providing security fixes the day after the holes have been revealed (in the worst case you'll have to wait another month to get it fixed!) nor provide stable, final patches that underwent excessive testing...

p.s. I like your politically correct "hiccup" rather than my more abrupt "screwup"

Dang!
All that while I was trying to appear PC and more honest and open-minded!
mad

wink tongue